Hey, hey! Long time, no write! Our new school year kicked off last week and, with it, my continued work as a substitute teacher. I LOVE working in the school, so it’s a good thing, but I’m sorry if I dropped off the earth a bit there!
Today, I wanted to share a bit about my very first capsule wardrobe with you all.
I’ve tossed around the idea of a capsule wardrobe for some time now. What is it? Well, it’s basically a very pared down wardrobe with a limited number of articles used for a set time period, typically three months.
What held me back before? Well, honestly, the thought of choosing a range of clothes to cover a full three-month season kind of stressed me out. Connecticut is a state with dramatic changes in weather and, frankly, choosing garments to cover temps from mid-90s (like we had this week) to snow (which we will no doubt see some time in November) seemed somewhat absurd.
Then, I had an “ah-ha!” moment and realized that there’s no reason I had to choose 37 garments for a 3 month stretch. Instead? I chose about 26 articles (not counting shoes, accessories, sleepwear, or workout clothes) to get me through TWO months– September and October.
The plan is to craft a new “capsule” every two months, for the following seasons:
- Early Fall (September and October)
- Falling into Winter (November and December)
- The Deep Freeze (January and February)
- Sprinter (March and April)
- True Spring (May and June)
- Mild Summer (July and August)
Up first? Early Fall!
Here’s what it looks like:
And here’s what’s in it!
- black & teal chevron-printed sleeveless maxi dress
- navy floral short-sleeved dress
- black t-shirt dress
- navy convertible hi-lo skirt/sleeveless dress
- grey maxi skirt
- black maxi skirt
- black midi skirt
- navy and white striped midi skirt
- black capris
- black pants
- black leggings
- grey long-sleeved knit top with beaded detail
- pale pink lightweight sweater with lace detail
- purple dressy short-sleeved top
- black & white dressy short-sleeved top
- navy cap-sleeved blouse
- navy sequined tank
- black lace-trimmed tank
- white lace-trimmed tank
- aqua tank
- teal tank
- teal & purple floral lightweight cardigan
- white jacket
- black dressy cardigan
- denim jacket
And that is it!
It’s too early in the game to tell you how well this is going to work overall, but I am really enjoying my wide-open, airy closet. It is so easy to see what I have and to make simple choices each morning.
Look for updates as we get further into this season!
Hit me up with any questions you might have…