Well, hey there! Guess what? I was actually OFF yesterday from working in the school. It was a very deliberate move on my part and one I try to make, ideally, once a week. Working every day outside the home leaves me feeling frantic and behind in my house. Sooo… I try to take a day here and there to do some shopping and get caught up. Yesterday was that day!
I did some grocery shopping to get us through the next week or so and thought, you know what I haven’t done in awhile? Shared a peek into my cart with you all!
So here you go…
My first stop was a local supermarket chain. I love going there early in the morning because it’s just me and a few old guys, typically. Anyway, I went there for three things– to return some bottles to get my deposit money back, to pick up canned cat food, and to hit the discount bread rack. Here’s the deal– I LOVE to bake bread. And I still do. But I have also learned that my store’s bakery bakes fresh bread every morning and then, the next morning, sells it for 90% off. Bagels, english muffins, and specialty breads all for less than a quarter a pack? I love both the value and the convenience and I always go take a peek to see what I might find…
- 20 cans Friskies cat food– $10.00 (I admit I picked out the varieties with cheese because our kitten is a cheesehound just like me.)
- 2 1L bottles seltzer (Seltzer is my beverage of choice when I get home from teaching!)– $1.00 (plus 10 cents deposit)
- 2 loaves Maple Cinnamon bread– $ .56
- 2 loaves Blueberry bread– $ .56
- 2 loaves 100% Stoneground Wheat bread– $ .54
- 3 packages multi-grain English muffins– $ .57
Next, I went to ALDI. I got there just after they opened, at 9AM. I honestly had no list and no real plans other than to get my husband more nacho chips and buy a few dozen eggs. I mean, I knew I’d buy more– I just didn’t write anything down. So here’s how that played out!
- 3 dozen large eggs– $5.85
- 1 gallon milk– $3.19
- 2 packages mushrooms– $1.58
- 1# baby carrots– $ .69
- 2 green peppers– $ .99
- 3# yellow onions– $ .99
- 1 loaf garlic romano bread– $1.79
- 3# bananas– $1.29
- 1L seltzer– $ .59
- 2# angelhair– $1.79
- 1 bag nacho chips– $1.19 (for hubby!)
- 1 roll Spring-themed paper towels– $ .69
- 2 jars organic natural apple sauce– $2.58
- 2 bags oyster crackers– $1.78
- dark chocolate PB– $1.75
- 1 giant can mini-ravioli– $1.29
- 2 2L lemon lime soda– $1.38 (for the husband!)
- 1 4 pack energy drinks– $2.49 (husband again!)
- 1 4 pack Cadbury eggs– $1.69 (aaaannnnddd… one more for the husband. )
- 1 bottle organic apple juice– $1.49
- 12 oz. farfalle pasta– $ .99
- 1# turkey breast lunch meat– $3.49
- 2 jars marinara– $1.98
- 1 bag shrimp & crab ravioli– $2.45
- 2 cans tuna– $1.30
- 8 oz. pepperjack– $1.79
- popcorn kernels– $1.19
- white American singles– $1.89 (<– I messed up when I grabbed these– I usually buy pre-sliced white cheddar for in our sandwiches. I could lie and tell you I plan to return them and fix it, but the truth is we’ll just eat them. I know they’re “fake cheese.” We’ll survive. And I’ll be more careful next time! )
And that did it! Well, I did run to Walmart to grab some fun and funky plastic Easter eggs for next year– I saw them before Easter, but waited for the 75% off markdown.
Thoughts? Questions? What good deals have YOU found lately?