Homemade bread is such a delicious treat alongside soup, pasta, or even a big salad. Don’t be intimidated at the thought of making it yourself! This lovely loaf comes together quickly and easily and requires absolutely no special equipment.
Feta-Studded Braided Loaf
A beautiful, flavortul bread, studded with bursts of feta cheese. This loaf comes together easily and has a wonderful texture for alongside soup or pasta.
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup butter (melted)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Dump water in large bowl and sprinkle yeast and sugar over the surface. Let sit for 15 minutes-- it should get high and foamy.
- Add salt, oil, and flour. Stir with large spoon (I like my big wooden one) for as long as you are able, then switch to using your hands. Squeeze together as much as possible, then dump the entire contents of the bowl onto a floured surface. Knead for two minutes, until smooth.
- Place dough back in bowl and cover. Allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into three even balls. Roll each into a "snake", about 18" long.
- Lay dough snakes on a greased cookie sheet and fasten together at one end by pressing the dough together.
- Braid the dough. As you alternate sides, tuck crumbles of feta cheese into the braid. One you reach the ends of your dough strands, press them together and tuck underneath.
- Cover loaf with tea towel and allow to rise in warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- While loaf cools for about 10 minutes, mix melted butter and garlic powder, then brush evenly over surface of loaf.
- Slice and serve. This bread is tastiest when warm, but can easily be reheated if you make it ahead.