What’s that you say? You’re looking for a cute, last-minute Halloween-themed meal to delight your little ones? I’ve got you covered with this one.
Oh, yes, I’m well aware that Halloween is, oh, TOMORROW. And so you might think that there’s no way to create a fun, festive meal your kids will love unless you’ve already done a lot of shopping and planning.
How about a kid-friendly, super fast dish that only requires two (inexpensive) ingredients? How’s that sound?
Well, here you go!
Mummies in Blankets
(To be fair, “Mummified Pigs” is probably more accurate, but it sounds creepy.)
- 1 package hot dogs (usually 8-10)
- 1 tube biscuits (get the cheap, small ones– there should be ten and you can often get them for less than a buck)
1. Working one at a time, use a rolling pin to roll each biscuit into a thin oblong. Don’t worry about it being perfect. Just make sure it’s about the length of your hot dog and wide enough to wrap around.
2. Use a sharp knife to cut angled slits on each side. Again, don’t worry about keeping them even or counting them. Just cut slits, leaving a strip uncut down the middle.
3. Lay a hotdog on the uncut strip.
4. Alternating sides in a random pattern, pull strips over and across the hot dog, creating a “bandaged” look.
5. Bake according to your biscuit directions.
6. Just before serving, you can use ketchup to create two little “eyes” peering out of the bandages– fun!