True story: I made these soft tacos once and transported them all the way to Massachusetts for lunch with friends. To this day, they beg me to make them. Don’t let the simple seasonings fool you– these are wonderfully flavorful and popular with everyone, young and old.
Carnitas & Spanish Rice Soft Tacos
Hooray for slow cooker recipes! Since the Spanish rice can easily be made ahead of time, this meal is a fantastic option for those crazy days when you have little to no time to actually prepare and cook dinner. It’s also one of our family faves.
- bag of carnitas ingredients (you should have prepped this along with the rest– if you did not, you’ll need: remaining small chop along with the extra pieces of pork, 1 thinly sliced white or yellow onion, 1/4 cup water, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 1 teaspoon oregano)
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup salsa verde/ green taco sauce
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing
- 8 flour tortillas
1. Dump carnitas ingredients into a slow cooker. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
2. Cook rice using preferred method, substituting the tomato sauce for 1/2 cup of the water specified. Add chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder before cooking, as well. This will create your Spanish rice. (You can find my favorite Spanish Rice recipe right here.)
3. Warm tortillas to make them more pliable. Shred cooked pork.
4. Assemble each soft taco by layering ingredients on center of tortilla in the following order:
Spanish rice, shredded pork, salsa verde, cheddar, and ranch. Roll.
5. Complete for each soft taco. Serve two tacos per person*.
*In actuality, we have one person who eats two, one who eats three, one who eats one, one who eats one and a half, and one who eats a half– your breakdown, like ours, may very well not be “2 per person”… but I’d say two qualifies as an “average” serving.