Summertime is the perfect time to indulge in tasty, refreshing salads. The beauty of a “salad wrap” is that you get all the yummy, light goodness of a lettuce salad with the ease of eating you get from a sandwich. Win-win!
All the flavors in these wraps are familiar and blend superbly. Since there are no “weird” veggies, unfamiliar cheeses, or intense dressings, these are typically well-received by children, as well. Some fussier eaters might prefer their filling on a piece of bread, but that’s a fairly simple substitution.
Cheddar Apple Chicken Salad Wraps
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces (these should already be bagged up from your earlier prep work)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 apples, cut into bite-size pieces (*I do not peel mine, but feel free to do so if your family prefers their apple without the peel on.)
8 oz. sharp cheddar, cubed
1 head romaine lettuce, washed and dried
1. Combine mayonnaise, buttermilk, garlic powder, onion powder (1 teaspoon), cayenne pepper, and parsley in medium-size bowl. Stir until well-mixed, then cover with plastic wrap and put in fridge to allow flavors to combine while you do other things.
2. Heat olive oil in skillet over med-high heat. Add chicken to pan and season with salt, black pepper, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder. Cook through, until juices run clear, about 4-5 minutes.
3. Let chicken cool to room temp or toss in the fridge until cool, whichever you prefer.
4. Remove dressing from the refrigerator and fold in cooked chicken, cubed cheddar, and apple pieces until well-coated.
5. Place a single, un-torn romaine leaf on each plate. Scoop a large spoonful of chicken salad mixture on the top of each. Serve and enjoy!