(A gentle giant, even as a toddler.)
I’ve already told you that our sweet A. is having surgery. That happens two days from now. TWO DAYS. Gracious.
Anyway, here’s how things have unfolded– the abbreviated version:
9/12: I get a call from the school. A. has lost consciousness. Lots of tests are done. We learn he has a heart block arrhythmia and the doctors are really concerned. Two days later, we learn he has Lyme Disease.
10/12: A. finishes four weeks of antibiotics to treat the Lyme. Everyone is optimistic that the arrhythmia will be completely gone. It is not.
11/12: A stress test reveals that A’s PR-interval is lengthening rather than shortening during physical exertion– a true anomaly.
12/3/12: A. nearly loses consciousness at school three times. The nurse calls me. I call the doctor. She tells me to take him to the ER. The ER transfers him, via ambulance, to a children’s hospital in our state’s capital. After 3 days in the children’s hospital, the team decides to give him stronger antibiotics in case the Lyme is still present.
12/18/12: A. completes the second round of medication. Our pediatric cardiologist still sees the arrhythmia. We now know it’s congenital and decide maybe the only course of action is to follow A. regularly. We agree to up his sodium levels to help bump up his naturally low BP. We plan to see the cardiologist in the summer.
1/10/13: The cardiologist calls me, out of the blue. He’s been losing sleep over A’s case, he tells me, and would like an electrophysiologist to look at him. He gives me a number. Ultimately, my husband contacts the head of pediatric cardiology at Yale and he tells us he agrees that A. should be evaluated.
1/31/13: We take A. to Yale-New Haven’s Children’s Hospital and meet with a cardiology team. In the end, the decision is made to place a long-term heart monitor to figure out what has cause the syncope (fainting.)
So there you go. On Friday, March 1st, we’ll head out bright and early to have this procedure done. It is outpatient surgery (provided all goes well) and involves placing a slim monitor under both the skin and muscle of his chest. By placing it under the muscle, it should be virtually undetectable from the surface once he’s all healed up.
The purpose of this monitor is to pick up what happens with his heart just before he faints. The doctors, and we, feel pretty strongly that A’s fainting has been a vaso-vagel response to his blood pressure and heart rate dropping. (This can be treated rather easily, and usually through diet alone.) If, however, the arrhythmia is causing it (and that IS possible), it would mean that there is, essentially, an electrical problem that might need to be corrected with a pacemaker. At this point, we do NOT think A. needs a pacemaker… but it’s important to basically “prove” that in order to ensure we’re protecting his heart as best we can.
My strong, healthy boy. I have so much faith that he’s going to do great. He’s so strong and obedient and determined; he’ll do whatever they ask of him, without complaint.
I would ask for your prayers if he should happen to cross your mind. Thanks so much for caring about our family– I can’t quite express what a surreal joy that is to me.